Monday, May 12, 2014

Our Grecian Odyssey (itinerary subject to change)

Hey guys! I'm almost getting up to the present day (though there are some less exciting, more day-to-day posts that I will have to go back and do eventually...).  This post was written on 1 April 2014 (yes, I am old-fashioned and I still write these things out by hand before they come here).  This was our "solid" itinerary for Greece.  Naturally, we did end up changing a lot of it, but it is the skeleton of what actually happened.  Also, I just like seeing how excited pre-Greece Meghann was for this trip.  Because post-Greece Meghann just still gets a bit sad that it's over.  SUCH a good trip.  Anyway, here it goes:

Hello all!  I leave for Greece in just over a week, and I have become unbearably excited and spirited.  I think it's 100% impossible for me to get depressed or sad about anything at the moment.  Again, poor George.  I cannot quite even imagine what new levels of obnoxiousness my enthusiasm will reach once we are actually there.a

So, in the meantime, I thought I'd share our itinerary:

Day 1: Fly from Stuttgart to Thessaloniki.  Drive to Litochoro (town at base of Mount Olympus.

Day 2: (lots of driving and us being very ambitious.  What a surprise!...).  Wake up, climb around Mount Olympus.  Drive to Meteora (2.5 hours).  Gaze in awe.  Drive to Delphi(3 hours).  See the Oracle and Amphitheatre.  Pray my camera battery holds up.  Drive to Corinth and sleep.

Day 3: (lots more driving)  Wake up, check out Corinth Canals and Ancient Corinth.  Drive to Patra.  Admire the sea.  Drive to Olympia.  Inevitably lose if I challenge George to a race around the track.  Drive to the Temple of Apollo on the south side of Athens to watch the sunset.  Head into Athens and crash at the hotel.  

Day 4: Athens.  Lots of walking and old stuff and eating of delicious Greek food. 

Day 5: Ferry from Athens' port (Piraeus) to the island of Naxos.

Day 6: Naxos

Day 7: Leave Naxos; take ferry to Mykonos.

Day 8:  Mykonos

Day 9:  Leave Mykonos; take ferry back to Piraeus.  Pick up the car and drive back up to Thessaloniki.

Day 10:  Explore Thessaloniki before heading to the airport.  We will arrive back in Stuttgart in the evening.

So, yes, we've planned to see and do a majority of what you can do in Greece in less than ten days.  However, we also have allotted about half of the trip to being bums on Greek islands (that's the part that we're both the most excited for).  The first half of the trip will be pretty full.  But then there's ample time for us to recover (unless we go crazy on Mykonos that Friday night; absolutely a possibility!).  

I CANNOT WAIT.  Expect a full report when I get back.  Probably not immediately, but I will get around to it eventually.

Actually, looking at this now, we changed a fair amount.  (Past Meghann did realize I would take ages to post this though). But, you'll see it all soon enough!  My goal is to finish this before Friday (leaving for Spain then!).  However, I make no promises.  This was an epic trip, and I need to do it justice.  But it does make me a little sad that it's done.  One week ago today, I was in Athens...where has the time gone??

No comments:

Post a Comment